Sunday, March 26, 2023

Sunday Morning Musings - The Pre-Easter Edition

Gratitudes:
1. I'm grateful for the focus on Jesus every Sunday.
2. I'm grateful that so many people are worshiping Him today.
3. I'm grateful to be where I am now.
4. I'm grateful for my writing hobby.
5. I'm grateful to have plenty to do today.


Plan for the day:
1. Worship service.
2. Reading.
3. Plan my week.


Currently reading:
1. Clinging to Hope by Charles R. Swindoll
2. Adventuring Through the Bible by Ray Stedman
3. The Bible From 30,000 Feet by Skip Heitzig
4. The Power of Praying For Your Adult Children by Stormie Omartian
5. The Bible: Numbers, Psalms, Luke

Here's how my day is going:

I watch an online worship service. This morning an associate pastor and his wife started the program by talking about Easter eggs and the upcoming celebration of Easter.  (Next Sunday.)

I don't celebrate Easter because it is a pagan celebration honoring the German goddess Ēostre. She is their goddess of springtime and fertility. The fertility connection is clear as symbols are rabbits and eggs. 

Apparently early Christians in Northern Europe thought it wise to combine the celebration of Resurrection Sunday with the local pagan celebration, Easter. The idea caught on and now all over America people have been combining the two celebrations not realizing exactly what Easter was originally about.

I'd like to see more clarity about what we Christians celebrate. For me, Resurrection Sunday is not about fertility, rabbits and egg hunts. That's fine if you want to celebrate Easter, but it is not what I'm celebrating that day. 

I celebrate Resurrection Sunday in remembrance of the resurrection of Jesus Christ - one of the most important events in world history.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment