Saturday, July 11, 2020

Gunshot in the Night

Tonight I'm here, still awake, at 1am - and out there somewhere was something that sounded exactly like a gunshot, and I have to wonder, why? What was being shot at? Why only one shot? Around here it could have been someone trying to scare a bear or mountain lion away. Seems like this same thing happened just a couple of nights ago.

Two nights ago I forgot to bring in the cat food at sunset, and when I opened the kitchen door to get it, a little skunk was having his fill of easy free food. I judiciously shut the door and let him have at it. Later I went out to get the rest and tossed the food in the trash and washed the bowls. I have to stop doing that to myself. It makes me wonder where this skunk and his family live. I'm suspecting the thicket behind the shed. There are thick brambles and honeysuckle. Plenty of privacy for a skunk family, I suppose. I don't think they're under my mobile home because the skirting seems very effective and I had plumbing work done a week ago, and the plumber said nothing about seeing skunks under there. You would think he'd mention that if there were something like that to report.

I have a project going on in the side yard, in sector 7. That's just outside my living room windows. I want to cover all the old lawn with cardboard, and on that put new dirt to grow flowers in. I want a flower garden, not a lawn. The plan is great except there was no way to go shopping in Yreka this spring due to coronavirus so I didn't have enough dirt to make it work. I will continue to work on this over the course of the next few years and hope that eventually I'll have enough there that it will be absolutely beautiful in the springtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment