Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Sad Story of 2011... How I Let My Business Suffer

Popularity is a double-edged sword. Last year I was a little too popular. I was elected to the local Chamber of Commerce board of directors and made corresponding secretary. I attended all the meetings and helped with event planning. And in the end I came up with an important lesson: Guard Your Small Business Management Time.

You see, my business was suffering. I was working more for the community than I was for LJ Martin Web. That's the name of my licensed home business, and there's only one worker bee there - and that's me! When I'm not home working on my business, nobody is! Eek... so while I was kindly helping others I was undermining my own income.

That had to end. I quit my board membership and secretarial position. It shocked everyone... but it had to be done. I went my own way, got back into my regularly scheduled business time, and patched my income back together. Really, that year was a huge setback as I lost a lot of income because my mind was elsewhere.

You know how some businesses are owned by one person and operated by employees? Well, my business isn't that way. It is totally a one-woman show. Nobody helps, not even my best friend, though I've tried and tried to get some help from him. He just won't... so it is up to me. And only me.

So, I pushed back the plate. Popularity is not for me when it involves neglecting my own business interests. Time is money, as they say. To make money, you need to take the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment