Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Goals and Intentions Don't Work as Well as Prayers to Our Loving, Guiding God


Gratitudes:

1. I'm grateful all my family members survived that fire.
2. I'm grateful I have a way to heat my travel trailer on this chilly morning.
3. I'm grateful I have transportation aside from just walking.
Plan for the day:
1. Spend time at my art desk.
2. Clean up my yard. Break down cardboard boxes.
3. Continue my study of Galatians.
Currently reading:
1. The Ivy Tree, by Mary Stewart (audiobook)
2. Holy Transformation, by Chip Ingram
3. Amazing Grace, by Eric Metaxas

Life's so strange. I can't plan ahead very well and have to take it day by day. When I plan ahead I find that I can't meet my goals and expectations, so I end up feeling guilty and frustrated by my inability to get things done. I've learned to trust God to get me there, meaning that if I pray for help things are more likely to get done than if I set myself a goal. For some reason I resist my own goals. I think instead of making goal lists I'll make lists of things I've prayed about.

Expect the unexpected. When I look at that painting today I see the fire that burned my home, and see that nothing prepared me for that. It was an ordinary day until I heard about the fire that started near my daughter's home. Then she and her husband were in my front yard, and things proceeded from there. While their home was burning they were helping me get things moved out of my home and into my van. Anything else I thought I might have done that day was forgotten. It all came to the necessity of surviving a fire with as much stuff as possible, then driving out of town because we were evacuated. Forget anything else you might have planned.

Forget plans. Somehow they just don't work for me. I need to pray and set my daydreams before God and see what He does with them. He can be trusted. He is a true friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment