Thursday, September 10, 2015

Left Behind - The Movie (2000)

Tonight I watched the 2000 version of Left Behind - The Movie ... and it is not as bad as I expected. In fact, I enjoyed watching the movie... the whole process was painless.

This is the first time I've ever watched a Left Behind movie. I've been a Christian only 2 years.

I was surprised the movie only earned 1 star on Netflix, but it has 4 stars averaged on Amazon. After watching it, I think it deserves the 4 stars. The acting and directing are just fine. This is not what I'd consider a B movie... it is better than that.

I wonder if a lot of people on Netflix gave the one-star feedback because they don't like Christianity. It isn't reflective of the quality of the movie.

The plot was somewhat predictable, for anyone who knows about the rapture and tribulation. However there's a strong sub-plot about an airline pilot whose wife and son are among the disappeared. He wasn't interested in learning about her Christian faith before, but post-rapture, he's confronted with a need to know the truth.

The rapture was depicted with people disappearing leaving all their clothes and jewelry behind. I'm not so sure that will happen. It could be we'll leave our physical bodies behind too. Wouldn't that be a mess for those "left behind" to clean up?

This movie also shows that all the children are raptured along with the Christians. My friend commented that it will be so sad for the parents who are missing their children. Again, I'm not sure whether that idea is scripturally based or whether it was just the understanding of the director, Vic Sarin.

The movie was entertaining enough. The main characters are portrayed by Kirk Cameron (Buck Williams), Brad Johnson (Rayford Steele), and Janaya Stephens (Chloe Steele).

I know there's also a 2014 "Left Behind" movie. I haven't seen it yet. How typical of me to be fifteen years behind the times.

No comments:

Post a Comment