Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Snow Changed My Travel Plans

Gratitudes:
1. I'm grateful for sunshine melting the snow, and that drip, drip, drip from the trailer roof. It brings me hope and joy.
2. I'm grateful for a cup of green tea chai sitting right next to me waiting to be enjoyed.
3. I'm grateful for the two noisy roosters and eight hens who provide eggs for my loved ones.
4. I'm grateful for the internet. I'm so happy it is working well for me.
5. I'm grateful for watercolors. They are so much fun to use and create with. Joy, joy, joy!
Plan for the day:
1. Don't worry about anything. Pray about everything that concerns me.
2. Read my two priority novels. Stay on track to try to finish them before the end of the month. (Farmer Boy and Hornblower.)
3. Praise the Lord.
4. Stay indoors while the snow is still covering the ground, as much as possible. Be grateful that I have the opportunity to stay home. God is good to me, all the time.
5. Write something using prompts from Take Ten For Writers - one of my favorite prompt books.
Currently reading:
1. Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder
2. Hornblower and the Hotspur by CS Forester
3. The Bible: Psalm 63, Numbers 35-36, Luke 4:38-44 (along with all notes in the Life Application Bible) (finished Numbers today!)
Recently Published:
1. A review of The Obsession of Victoria Gracen, by Grace Livingston Hill
2. A Note of Thanks to Our Creative God

Here's how my day is going:

I was planning to go to Medford, Oregon tomorrow for a medical appointment but because of the snow situation I decided to wait. I need to avoid storms. I try never to drive in the snow. This is a personal choice because I don't need to risk it. I'm an old retired woman now and don't absolutely have to be anywhere at any particular time, and I honestly much prefer to stay home by myself. (I'm like that.)

Two nights ago we got snowed on all night long leaving us with another six to ten inches. Today it is melting away in the sunshine, but it won't be melted completely off the top of my van for a few days, so travel to Medford wasn't a good idea. It is not specifically illegal to drive with snow on my van in either of the two states I'd be driving in, but it could fly off the roof when driving at high speed on the interstate freeway and that could be a great hazard to other drivers behind me. I don't mind doing it in town where I drive slow, but won't do it on the interstate.

I bought a nice snow scraper to take snow off the roof of that high-top van, but then found out I couldn't use it because I have no ladder. My ladder burned in the forest fire that ate my home. One reason I wanted to go to Medford was to buy a new ladder.

Also the weather report doesn't look favorable for a trip to Medford right now. We just had a storm and now there will be two sunny days, then another storm on Thursday night ongoing into Friday. I was planning to spend the night in my van then come home Friday. Since it just snowed there's the thought that Friday's storm could bring fresh snow. This is especially an issue for me because my trip would include a two hour drive on a long winding river road (not safe in snow) and two mountain passes. I'm thinking - this is not a good time to go out of town.

I rarely go out of town anymore. In fact, I haven't been out of this little town in the forest for well over a year now. I decided to conserve on gas by rarely using the van this last year. I will drive it into town at least once weekly for errands, but that's about it. I managed to buy only one tank of gas per season, each tank costing around 100 dollars because of CA gas prices being high during the last year. That was my response to the increase in gas prices.

In other news, I think I'll have that shed.......... I checked with the county and it does not exceed the limit of 120 square feet (even with the overhangs) so no permit is needed unless I install electricity. I've decided not to have electricity in there - or if I need it, just to use a Jackery portable power station for temporary electrical needs. The shed will be used as an art studio and for storage - so during the summer I'll have to do my art early in the morning to beat the heat. There will be three windows in the shed to let in plenty of light.

No comments:

Post a Comment