Friday, December 17, 2004

True Story

I was up early yesterday - about 3am to be exact - so by late afternoon I thought it might be cool to go get a little nap. I was in bed about fifteen minutes when I heard on my boyfriend's scanner that there was a 14-year-old juvenile detained for shoplifting at the local market (there's only one market here).

Naturally the only family member not at home was my 14-year-old son. I didn't think it would be Aaron because my son has a habit of being honest (albeit a bit too blunt sometimes) but I never think about him doing criminal things because he's just not that way. However I remembered how I was as a teenager and realized even good kids (was I one?) could get in trouble... and of course if it was my son I wanted to be there for him.

So I got up and drove down to the market and did some shopping while wondering when the deputy would leave with the suspect so I could see who it was. Fortunately it wasn't my son and the boy involved was released to his parent. However during the time I was at the store my neighbors were shopping there too.

Now... the backstory on these neighbors is that they moved here last summer and right away were friendly but complaining about everything including our landlady who I dearly love. It didn't take too long before I was given a notice by my landlady containing a list of things I should correct concerning my yard. My new neighbor was of course complaining about us at the same time she was complaining about everything else.

After that I avoided our neighbors one-hundred-percent, completely. I stay busy and don't have time for head trips like that. I figured I wouldn't want to tell her anything about my life because she'd eventually turn against me. Unfortunately my boyfriend has a short memory and soon was going over there constantly for friendship and good times, whatever. I don't tell the man what to do even though sometimes I see trouble coming and work to avoid it myself.

Well, according to him the neighbors argue a lot and when they start their bickering and insulting of each other he leaves. The woman is mentally ill and doesn't want to take all her bipolar meds because she doesn't want to get overweight. She also told another friend of ours that I was packing a meth lab into my car one day (it was really just some boxes of old books I wanted to give away). I don't use drugs other than prescribed by my nurse practitioner so I didn't see any humor in this.

So anyhow - tonight I saw them in the store and for the first time in almost six months I said hi to her. But guess what. When I got home I was met by my boyfriend at the door. He said when they got home he went over there to visit and she threw him out because according to her I was down at the store with the deputy and Kevin (another neighbor) and apparently she thought we were all out to get her somehow. I never even talked to the deputy while I was there! She also said I was taking pictures. Again, that's wrong... I didn't even have my camera with me. But because I saw them at the store my boyfriend is now expelled from her house as a suspicious character. Strange, earlier in the day they were good friends laughing and having a good time together.

My boyfriend also tells me there's a rumor going around that the brother of our former neighbor is now in jail because I was down at the river taking photos of him while he was doing some illegal poaching. I'd like to see the proof of that. The truth is I liked the guy, I don't run around taking people's pictures so I can snitch on them, and I had no knowledge of him doing anything illegal before he was arrested.

I knew before that my neighbor was bipolar. Now I think she's schizophrenic too. I wish she'd get her meds straightened out and take them regularly. If she did she'd be such a nice person to be around.

No comments:

Post a Comment