Sunday, August 25, 2002

The Homeschool Table, State Line, Indian Town, and Bolan Lake

Today my daughter and I drove to Grants Pass to buy a card table for Aaron's homeschooling. He really likes it and I think he appreciates that his education is important enough to warrant a whole new table this year. I also got more art supplies... but I need more. I want better quality water colors for him and a new set of oil pastels. I love his artwork!

On the way back we stopped to take pictures at the state line but we didn't like the way they turned out... so we will try again some other time. Her idea is to get photos with us standing in both states at the same time. Also on the way back we went to the site of Indian Town. A friend here told me how to find it and I believe from her directions I found the right place this time. There's no signs from the road... just a gravel road going downhill and a flat place at the bottom. There's a sign saying "Day Use Area" which I think means they don't want people spending the night down there. It used to be a town larger than Happy Camp, I've heard, but I don't see how they could fit that many people in the area. They must have spread out quite a bit from the clearing I was in today. Of course absolutely nothing is left of the town - not a trace - but I wonder why it isn't marked as a historical place. In fact, there are no California historical markers around here... and there's so many cool history spots, I don't see why not.

The other day I was telling people at one of our meetings that there's no sign from our direction telling where the road to Bolan Lake is. (That's up there on the road to Oregon too).. and so to find it, people have to pass the road, and then turn around and come back to see the sign that tells there's some lakes down that road. We went there twice last year and there's still no sign from our direction. So Eddie took the information and indicated that he was going to make a request that this be fixed by the forest service... now why didn't I think of that! I will look forward to see what kind of response he gets. If that works, how about a historical marker about the bowling alley that used to be up there in the middle of nowhere next to Bolan Creek... "Bolan" being a mountain-man way of saying "Bowling" I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment