Saturday, June 28, 2003

Life, Money, and the Atkins Diet

Sorry I've neglected this weblog! Here's stuff I've been doing lately:

1. web maintenance work - a lot of it
2. enjoying my kids more now that my daughter's out of school
3. a new diet and exercise program
4. rearranging the house to put all my clutter in the back bedroom
5. enjoying our new used car and taking a few out of town trips

After a tight-money month, Keith and I sat down together yesterday to look at July's budget. We talked about where to cut corners. There won't be room for any extras but we'll get all our bills paid this time. Last month we didn't due to what we spent to take that car out of the car lot. Now we have to catch up...

The good news is that we're going to have plenty of money for food (we always have that, at least)... and for me, food will be on the Atkins diet plan. This drastic measure will be taken because I dieted on a conventional plan all of June and didn't lose even one pound - a real disappointment. I've come to the conclusion that my body's addicted to carbohydrates and must be weaned off them. I'm starting Atkins induction on July 1 and am reading the book now:



The book is well-written and easy to understand with short chapters. I'm enjoying it...

What I've learned so far is that I've been eating so many carbohydrates, my body is running on them and not burning off stored fat. The stored fat comes from eating too many carbs too... because the liver converts carbs into fat if there's too many. The solution is to slow down to 20 grams of carbs daily until the addiction is broken, then add a few more into the diet. Yes, the body does need some carbs, but not in the great quantity we have in the typical American diet. This is a main reason why obesity has become an epidemic in this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment